Alex Mihailidis, PhD, PEng, MASc, PhD
Senior Scientist, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute (TRI)
Keywords: Rehabilitation, therapeutic robotics, physiotherapy, occupational therapy |
Dr. Mihailidis has been conducting research in the field of pervasive computing and intelligent systems in health for the past 13 years, having published over 100 journal papers, conference papers, and abstracts in this field. He has specifically focused on the development of intelligent home systems for elder care and wellness, technology for children with autism, and adaptive tools for nurses and clinical applications.
Barbara G. Stymiest Research Chair in Rehabilitation Technology at Toronto Rehab Institute
Associate Professor, Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy & Institute of Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering; cross appointment in the Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto
Full member - University of Toronto Graduate Department of Rehabilitation Science
Full member - University of Toronto School of Graduate Studies
- Mihailidis, A., Boger, J, Hoey, J. Jiancaro, T. (2011). Zero Effort Technologies: Considerations, Challenges and Use in Health, Wellness, and Rehabilitation. In R.M. Baecker (Ed.) Synthesis Lectures on Assistive, Rehabilitative, and Health-Preserving Technology, San Rafael, CA: Morgan & Claypool Publishers.
- Lu, E., Wang, R., Hebert, D., Boger, J., Galea, M., and Mihailidis, A. (2011). The development of an upper limb stroke rehabilitation robot: Identification of clinical practices and design requirements through a survey of therapists. Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology, 6(5), 420-431.
- Mihailidis, A., Boger, J., Craig, T. and Hoey, J. (2008). The COACH prompting system to assist older adults with dementia through handwashing: An efficacy study. BMC Geriatrics, 8(28). doi: 10.1186/1471-2318-8-28
- Mihailidis, A., Cockburn, A, Longley, C. and Boger, J. (2008). The acceptability of home monitoring technology among community-dwelling older adults and baby boomers. Assistive Technology, 20(1), 1-12.
- Bardram, J., Mihailidis, A., Wan, D. (November, 2006). Pervasive Computing in Healthcare. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, ISBN 0-8493-3621-x.
Department of Occupational Science & Occupational Therapy
916-500 University Avenue
Canada M5G 1V7